Saturday, October 24, 2015

Becoming an Archaeologist



by Radine Trees Nehring


I dreamed of being an archaeologist.

Daddy insisted on secretarial school. (This was back in the dark ages.) The dream died.

Fast forward thirty-five years. My husband and I chucked city jobs in Tulsa, Oklahoma and moved to the hills of northern Arkansas. I discovered I was meant to be an Ozarks-dweller and began writing about the area I loved, eventually deciding to try my hand at mystery writing. The Something to Die For series was born.

Three books into the series, the Hot Springs National Park curator (A Treasure to Die For) mentioned she had been cataloging artifacts for Dr. Caven Clark, staff archaeologist at Arkansas's Buffalo National River.

Archaeologist? I knew the Buffalo as a three-county-long wild river offering canoeing, fishing, and hiking amid spectacular scenery, but...archeology?
I picked up the phone and called Dr. Clark. YES! He was willing to help me.

All of my books include Arkansas history, descriptions of real locations, and a touch of social consciousness. (Instruction given with a spoonful of sugar?) After repeated discovery trips to the Buffalo, after exploring bluff shelters with Caven Clark, after many questions and interviews, I now know the Buffalo National River area once rivaled the canyons of Arizona and New Mexico for archaeological wealth. Ten thousand or more years ago Paleo Indians hunted and camped along the river. Centuries passed, and families began accompanying their hunters. They spent more and more of the year here, learning to scratch soil and scatter seed gathered from wild food plants. They lived in dry bluff shelters and caves along the Buffalo.

The word dry is important because, just as in the American Southwest, even fiber objects like woven garments, nets, sandals, and cradle boards survived inside the dry shelters. More commonly preserved throughout were chipped stone hunting points and tools, as well as pottery. (Pottery making began about 500 BCE.) A cultural heritage was being saved.

Then Europeans came, beginning with Spaniards during the 16th century. By the early 1800s, white settlers were moving into valleys near the river. Children and adults enjoyed exploring the world around them, often picking up curious-looking objects they found in caves and shelters or dug up in their fields. Our cultural heritage began vanishing.

Laws have been passed to make archaeological looting a crime, but looting along the Buffalo and elsewhere is now big business. The park service hasn't the staff to protect 36,000 acres.

You see where I am going with this. Radine was on her way to creating a mystery novel about archaeological looting. Challenging? Yes. Fun? You bet! After one hike I sat in a well-known Buffalo destination, the Indian Rock House, imagining (as does Catherine King in my novel) what living there might have been like several thousand years ago. Then I returned to my office to dream like an archaeologist, and write A River to Die For.

I never worked as a secretary but, by golly, I have brushed the life of an archaeologist. I was right, it would have been a great career. But now I am a writer, I have the best of many worlds!

Let's see. What would I like to experience next?

No comments: