Saturday, November 8, 2014

Women of Mystery Reviews


by J.A. Jance

An editor from New York once told me, and not tongue in cheek: "Original paperback mysteries are where anyone who wants to get published can get published."

Not only was I being published in original paperback, I was giving this woman a ride to a writer's conference. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. I was not amused.

Once I was published, it was what is often disparagingly dubbed "genre fiction." I soon learned an additional ugly truth: getting mysteries reviewed in the main stream media was and is a tough sell, and it's even more so if you happen to be female. When Sisters in Crime was started, one of its main goals was to monitor reviewing media and try to make sure that women mystery writers get a fair shake. 

Time has passed and the situation is somewhat better than when I started writing. Even so, it's still not a done deal. I've been on the New York Times bestseller list numerous times, but I've only been reviewed by them ONCE--and that was back when I was still in original paperback. In other words, I've been writing for the better part of thirty years, but the Times doesn't exactly come calling on a regular basis. 

As for being taken by the Groves of Academe, it used to be that I would say,"'Forget it." But that's  no longer true. The University of Arizona Library has a special collection called, "Women of Mystery." The collection is devoted to the works of contemporary female writers in the U.S. They are collecting books. They are collecting papers. Some day when some scholar wants to devote some time to study the works of female mystery writers of the 20th and early 21st centuries, they'll have a place to go--my alma mater.

If you qualify and think you should be on the list, contact Carla Stouffle at the University of Arizona Library at stofflec@u.library.arizona.edu. Carla is a lifelong mystery fan and champion of women mystery writers.

(Excerpted from The Mystery Writers, Medallion Books)

No comments: