Saturday, July 12, 2014

Indie Publishing: the Good, Bad and the Ugly


by bestselling Canadian author Cheryl Kaye Tardif

In 2003 I began my career as a published novelist. Previously I had published smaller works--articles and poetry--in magazines, newspapers and one anthology. I then decided to go the indie route because I was tired of trying to get published and only getting rejection letters. It was the BEST decision I ever made.

My novel, Whale Song, was published in 2003, and it saw moderate success, along with two other titles, and I was able to hone my skills as an avid book marketer. I made the book signing circuit to bookstores in both British Columbia and Alberta, Canada. And I began marketing online as well.

In 2006 Whale Song was picked up by a small Canadian publisher and released in 2007. It sold well and surpassed 5,000 copies in sales, making the book a national bestseller. It was also on several Amazon bestseller lists: .com, .ca and .uk, which made it an international bestseller. However my publisher began experiencing financial difficulties along with other problems, and I pulled out. That was the "bad period" for me in my career.

In 2010 Amazon opened Kindle Direct Publishing to Canadian authors and I went back to my roots--indie publishing. For me it's probably the best fit. I am by nature very independent and a strong marketer. Plus, I'm an idea person. Even my former publisher saw this in me and often called me a "marketing guru" or "marketing genius." While I don't consider myself a genius, I do know that I'm a risk taker.

By 2012 I had nine ebooks published. Most have made bestseller lists along with eight trade paperbacks. I'm also published in another anthology, What Fears Become. And I've moved from bestselling author to publisher; a move that has surprised me yet is so rewarding that it's hard to explain. My company, Imajin Books, isn't like most publishers. We think ahead and out of the box.

I'm still technically indie published as I've published all my own titles, but Imajin authors are traditionally published. We pay them advances and regular royalties. And they are paid more than from most publishers. In many ways we treat our authors as though they were independently published. They have more say in their books, titles, covers and trailers. We think of them as partners, although they've put no money up front for publication of their titles. Like I said before, I'm a risk taker. 

During my career, I've seen the good, bad and the ugly. But I now see a wide window of opportunity. Those who go the indie publishing route will be successful if they have what it takes--marketing know-how and determination. What an exciting time to be in publishing, especially if you're an "idea person" like me. 

(Excerpted from the book, The Mystery Writers, where you can read Cheryl Kaye Tardif's interview as well as her guest blog. The book is now available in audio, print and ebook editions.)

No comments: