Friday, February 28, 2014

Duffy Brown's Consignment Murder Series


Duffy Brown loves anything with a mystery. While others girls dreamed of dating Brad Pitt, Duffy longed to take Sherlock Holmes to the prom. She has two cats, Spooky and Dr. Watson, her license plate is Sherlock and she conjures up who-done-it stories of her very own for Berkley Prime Crime. Duffy’s national bestselling Consignment Shop Mystery series is set in Savannah and the Cyclepath Mysteries are set on Mackinac Island. Duffy writes romance as Dianne Castell and is a USA Today bestselling author.

Murder and Mayhem for Fun and Profit! I always wanted this as my tag line but then got published in romance and it just didn’t work. Then after ten years in romance I took the plunge into mystery and get to live my dream.

     So what do Iced Chiffon, Killer in Crinolines, and Pearls in Poison have in common? A consignment shop set in Savannah. I followed the old adage of write what you know as I adore Savannah and I work in a consignment shop! Yep, that’s me behind the counter oohing and aawing over your latest find and wishing I’d seen it first. When I took the leap into the mystery world I did it with a series titled Consignment: Murder.

     Consignment shopping is the fun of wearing designer clothes on the cheap. I could never afford a Coach handbag or an Armani jacket but I do love the expensive look and the feel of quality. Most of all I love bragging to my friends how much I paid for them. The conversation goes something like, “Oh, I just love your Kate Spade purse.” And my reply is, “I got it at the Snoot for forty bucks!” instead of the usual three-hundred and fifty!

     For years I shopped consignment stores than decided I needed to work at the Snooty Fox since I was there all the time looking for deals. My kids were some of the best-dressed on campus and I did it for K-Mart prices. I swear my husband got his last raise because he always looked nice.

     Don’t you love the name Snooty Fox! The Snoot is an upscale consignment shop meaning we are not Goodwill or St. Vincent DePaul. Not that there is one thing wrong with shopping these places but the Snoot only takes clothes within a two year style period and they must be cleaned and pressed.

     How many times have you bought something, wore it once, decided it wasn’t your color or didn’t fit the way you liked and you were stuck with it? Well, that’s where the Snoot comes in. You can sell your green plaid jacket that you just had to have but then decided you hated at the Snoot because there is a customer out there who will love that jacket. You won’t get what you paid for the jacket but it beats hanging in the back of your closet taking up space.

     The best part of the Snoot—even more than the great selection of clothes—is the people I work with. Being a writer I spend a lot of time behind a computer and working at the Snoot gets me into the real world. The customers and gals I work with are the best. Let me tell you, you can’t get a knockoff bag past them and they know a real fur from faux in a blink of an eye.

     Consignment shopping is a lot like solving a mystery. It’s all about the hunt for the perfect scarf, skirt or shoes. I think that’s why mystery and the Consignment: Murder series seemed like a perfect fit. Putting two of the things I like most together in a mystery series is a blast. I get to write about murder and mayhem for fun and profit and I get to find great deals on clothes and look good for next to nothing. Come visit me at the Snooty Fox and I’ll show you around. I know there’s a cute little Louis Vuitton bag out there with your name on it!

_______________________

Duffy Brown loves anything with a mystery. While others girls dreamed of dating Brad Pitt, Duffy longed to take Sherlock Holmes to the prom. She has two cats, Spooky and Dr. Watson, her license plate is Sherlock and she conjures up who-done-it stories of her very own for Berkley Prime Crime. Duffy’s national bestselling Consignment Shop Mystery series is set in Savannah and the Cyclepath Mysteries are set on Mackinac Island. Duffy writes romance as Dianne Castell and is a USA Today bestselling author.

You can learn more about Duffy Brown at www.DuffyBrown.com

Win a Pearls and Poison tote bag by leaving a comment here.

1 comment:

Jean Henry Mead said...

Welcome to Mysterious Writers, Duffy. It's good to have you join us here this week.