Saturday, July 6, 2013

Duffy Brown and Killer in Crinolines


Duffy Brown loves anything with a mystery. While others girls dreamed of dating Brad Pitt, Duffy longed to take Sherlock Holmes to the prom. She has two cats, Spooky and Dr. Watson, her license plate is Sherlock and she conjures up who-done-it stories of her very own for Berkley Prime Crime. Duffy’s national bestselling Consignment Shop Mystery series is set in Savannah and the Cyclepath Mysteries are set on Mackinac Island. Duffy writes romance as Dianne Castell and is a USA Today bestselling author.


Duffy, how did you know you were meant to write?
 
One day I asked my lovely husband of many years, “So, husband, what kind of stories do you think about?”
 
His intelligent blue eyes peered at me over the top of his newspaper. “Huh?”
 
"You know, stories you make up while waiting in line at the grocery or bank about the people around you. Do you think up mysteries, romances, adventure, self-help?”
 
“I think that I’m in the wrong line ‘cause it’s moving so darn slow.”
 
“No, seriously.”
 
“Yes, seriously.”
 
I was stunned. He didn’t think of stories? What the heck did the man think about? I mean the slow-line thing took a split second so then what?

Up until then I thought everyone thought in stories. My first clue.  

What fascinates you about mysteries? 

Everything!

Love the mystery part…takes a lot of thought to pull off a mystery and have all the clues, characters, red herrings etc fall together and make it fun and make the readers laugh.  

Love the small town setting, not that it has to be a small town but a setting in a town or city. Like in Stephanie Plum books the setting is the burg…a small setting in New Jersey. 

I love the characters and that they can be off the wall and help solve the mystery. I write/read for the humor. Life is serious enough. I want escape! Fun!  

What inspired you to write mysteries? 

I wrote romance for twenty years and they always had a mystery element. When I realized I liked writing the mystery more than  the romance I decided to switch genres. Not there there’s not romance in the series…there is! Walker Boone is a hung to die for. A badboy and who doesn’t love reading and falling for the badboys.  But the mystery is the focus and that’s the most fun of all 

What intrigues you about writing a series? 

Series are great because people get invested in the town and the characters’ lives and not ready to give that up after one book. Too much fun finding out what they’re up to next, the new characters they meet, new situations that come their way and new trouble brewing. Also you get to see the characters grow and change. Having a love interest is neat because they grow together while solving the mystery. And you get to explore more of the setting, in this case Savannah.  

What is the most challenging facet of writing for you? 

Writing is a challenge. If it were easy to get published everyone would be. LOL This is a job, much more than a 9 to 5 job. It never ends. But I love it. Cannot imagine doing anything else.  And the best part of all is meeting the wonderful readers along the way. I cannot tell you how many readers have become good friends. Tons! Love this job!

What do you enjoy reading?
 
I read cozies.One for the Money.Stephanie Plum book one. I think it is pure genius. Best cozy ever! Truly Madly by Heather Webber.  Heather makes me laugh and fall in love. An amazing author

Dead Air by Mary Kennedy   Great characters and setting.

Which authors have influenced you?

 Mary Kennedy gave met confidence to try cozies and Heather Webber is a true inspiration. Both these gals are true friends and helped me enormously.   

I’ve read One for the Money so many times the pages are falling out of the book. All the Plum books are good but the first there are magic. I love the humor and the characters and when I read One for the Money I knew that’s what I wanted to write. I was hooked!

You can learn more about Duffy Brown by visiting her website: www.duffybrown.com.

Leave a comment to be eligible to win one of two tote bags Duffy Brown will be giving away to vistors who leave a comment here.
 

6 comments:

Jean Henry Mead said...

Welcome to Mysterious Writers, Duffy. We're happy to have you here with us this week.

Teresa Glenn-Harrell said...

Book sound great, to read.
W2

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your guest post, Duffy, and have your book on my TBR list.

Shirley

Evelyn Cullet said...

It was nice to meet you Duffy. Your novel looks charming. I love to read cozies, too. And I'm looking forward to reading yours.

Sharon Love Cook said...

Duffy:

Love the name, Duffy, and love consignment shops. When I was a teenager I was so embarrassed by my mother, who loved to visit consignment shops. I figured everything in the shop was the property of dead people--and for some reason that bothered me. Now we refer to it as vintage and I appreciate the fact that someone has broken it in for me. Can't wait to read your latest. Best, Sharon Love Cook, the Granite Cove Mysteries.

traveler said...

A delightful post and so informative. Lovely. Thanks. saubleb(at)gmail(dot)com