Sunday, December 9, 2012

Rionna Morgan Loves Justice



Rionna Morgan grew up in the West and her love of horses led her to the rodeo arena, her love of language to the classroom and writing. She says she looked forward to sharing her stories her entire life and is a founding member of Montana Romance Writers. She reads as much as possible and loves "combining the chilling edge of a knife with the sweet surrender of romance." Rionna shares her home in Missoula with her husband, four children and the mountains outside her window.

"I write what I love to read. I love the books and movies that pull me in and send me on a thrilling journey of hair curling wonderment. As a writer, I am a researcher and plotter. I will spend weeks researching and mapping what I want to have happen. Many times, I know the ending before the beginning. Once I’ve done all I can to answer as many questions as I can, decipher as many motivations as I can, I write. That is when the method becomes a bit mad. Because my characters take over and begin telling their story their way. I see the story in my head like a movie, and I am just the videographer who takes really good notes…if that makes any sense. In writing Love’s Justice, I had a binder full of research notes beside me and a single sheet of paper plotting the book chapter by chapter, but still the characters told their story. And I’m so glad they did. They did a better job than I had."
 
Blurb: Sarah Johnson is a profiler in Portland, Oregon, and thinks she has successfully moved beyond the pain of her mother’s death 15 years ago. Her mother, a Pulitzer Prize winning writer, died in an Alabama women’s prison while on an undercover assignment. However, when Justin Breslow shows up at her office claiming to be an investigative reporter from Dallas wanting to do a feature on her mother, Sarah realizes the pain has just been dormant. She agrees to work with Justin; she’s always wanted to retrace her mother’s final days, but she has no intention of sharing family secrets with a perfect stranger. Sarah and Justin unravel a plot more complex and sinister than they expected. They pursue a trail of deceit and corruption to a women’s prison in Alabama, a centuries old hotel in Georgia and a family ranch in Texas. Nothing is simple or as it seems. Along the way, Sarah tries not to fall for Justin’s Southern charm, and Justin fights to resist Sarah’s beauty and sharp intellect. This unlikely duo will find more than they ever hoped to—in the prison, in their own backyards, and in each other’s arms. Whether they survive to enjoy their discoveries is the final mystery.

An Excerpt from Love's Justice

“What if I didn’t go as a snoopy reporter?” Justin closed the small space, successfully trapping Sarah between the refrigerator and the counter. "And just went as a man?” With a smooth shift of his body, he slid into an amazing fit against her. Sarah drew in a quick breath. The air-cooled kitchen suddenly became a furnace. His hands gripped the counter on either side of her. His face was so close she could see her reflection in his eyes.

“That is exactly what I don’t need.”

“Don’t need, but maybe want?” Justin moved closer. Their lips were just a breath apart.

“Don’t,” Sarah breathed. Her heart rapped hard in her chest.

Justin smiled, enjoying watching her eyes cloud to darkness. This was going to be easy. “Don’t what.” His lips brushed hers. “Tell me. Don’t what?”

Sarah fisted her hands in his shirt. To pull him closer or push him away, she wasn’t exactly sure. Panic and need and she didn’t know what all, tumbled around in her stomach. Instead of taking the time to decipher what to do, she just acted and tugged him to her. He caught her bottom lip, soft and warm, between his teeth. He felt her body give against his. He savored the taste of her, the warmth.

“I’m going with you,” he whispered against her lips. She nodded her head, but his words never registered. My plan is working perfectly, he thought as he pulled her deeper into the kiss.
 
Thank you Rionna. 
 
You can learn more about Rionna Morgan at her blog. Enter to win a piece of Montana! Also visit Rionna's Rafflecopter page at: http://www.rafflecopter.com/rafl/share-code/YjdjZTg4YzBkYzUyNjU2N2M5MjJjZjExY2ZkNzU5OjI%3D/ where she will give away a prize at the conclusion of the tour to a visitor who leaves a comment at any or all her blog appearances at the end of  the tour.

10 comments:

Patricia Gligor said...

Rionna,
Ah, another plotter! Our writing process sounds very similar. Although my characters will eventually take over, I need to know what has to happen in each chapter to carry the story forward before I write a word.

Jean Henry Mead said...

Welcome to Mystery Writers on this next to the last day of the Mystery We Write Blog Tour, Rionna.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Umm, loved this excerpt.

M.M. Gornell said...

Write what you love to read is such good advice for everyone, I think.

Madeline

Rionna Morgan said...

Patricia,

Well said. My characters eventually take over as well. I think I would be so worried all the way through if I didn't know what was going to happen.

Thanks for sharing your process too!

Rionna

Rionna Morgan said...

Jean,

Thank you so much for welcoming me to your site. I am loving this tour. I know I'll be sad when we're finished.

Smiles from a Snowy Montana!
Rionna

Rionna Morgan said...

Marilyn,

Thank you! :) Very nice to see you today.

All the Best,
Rionna

Rionna Morgan said...

Madeline,

I'm happy you dropped in today. I am going to love reading all of your work--all of yours from the tour! Can't wait to get started.

Happy to see you today!
Rionna

WS Gager said...

I admire how it is all plotted by chapter before you start. I've never been able to do that.
Wendy
W.S. Gager on Writing

Collin Kelley said...

Beginnings are always harder to write than endings - for me anyway.