Thursday, November 29, 2012

Armed and Outrageous by Madison Johns


Madison Johns distanced herself from other children her age, and was described as a dreamer. As a small child, she stayed awake many nights fighting dragons, whisked away to foreign lands, or meeting the man of her dreams.She was a voracious reader of historical romance in her teen years and has always wanted to travel to England, France, Ireland, and Scotland. The writing bug bit her at 44 and she has since written three books.
 
As the publishing climate changed she took a risk and decided to self publish, first a collection of two horror short stories geared for YA, Coffin Tales Season of Death.
 
Madison's work in a nursing homes inspired her to write her first mystery, Armed and Outrageous, introducing amateur detective Agnes Barton. The book depicts two elderly ladies digging up clues with enough laugh out loud antics to make James Bond blush. During a free run on Amazon, Armed and Outrageous went to the coveted position of number one and afterward, had ranked on the top ten paid books for humor list.
 
Here's what she has to say about including romance in novels: "I think romance is an important and interesting element of any fiction story. In the case of my cozy mystery Armed and Outrageous, it made it hilarious. For one thing, the characters are of a certain age. In my view there is always room for romance and more no matter the age bracket. Older people have just as much of a right for romance than younger people are following is her take on including romance to mysteries: Romance scene Armed and Outrageous: This scene is between Agnes Barton and her former boss and secret crush Andrew Hart who showed up in town unexpectedly.
 
“Thanks. I’m sorry I can’t help you further. Jot down my number in case you need to contact me.”
I laughed, looking down at my bath water. Poking my toes up, I can see the wrinkles already forming. “I can’t right now.”
“Why not?”
“Because I’m in the bathtub that’s why not. I just got in here, and it’s where I plan to stay.”
I heard static. I must have shocked him. Did he hang up? I hung up the phone, of all the nerve.
The phone rang again, and I answered it. “Hello.” I grimaced when I heard Andrew’s voice. I certainly didn’t want to talk to him now.
“Sorry about that, Aggie. I heard you say you’re naked in the tub, and I dropped the phone.”
“Oh the horror, a seventy-two-year old woman naked in a tub.” I wished I could reach through the phone and strangle him.
“I didn’t mean it like that.”
 
Thanks, Madison.
 
You can learn more about Madison Johns at  her website http://madisonjohns.com, on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/AuthorMadisonJohns, Facebook author page: http://www.facebook.com/MadisonJohnsAuthor and Twitter: https://twitter.com/madisonjohns11
 
Blurb: Armed and Outrageous
 
 Senior sleuth — Grandma Mazur meets Murder She Wrote — cozy mystery.
 
 Agnes Barton is not your typical senior citizen living in Tadium, MI, on the shores of Lake Huron. She drives a red hot Mustang, shops at Victoria's Secret, rankles local police officials, and has a knack for sticking her nose where it doesn't belong.
 
 What does a murder that happened forty-three years ago have to do with missing tourist Jennifer Martin? Agnes makes it her personal mission to find out, and she's not letting the fact she's seventy-two get in the way. Butting heads with Sheriff Clem Peterson is something she's accustomed to, but lately Clem seems to be acting even more strange, making Agnes wonder what he may be hiding ala the Martin disappearance.
 
Agnes’ partner in crime, Eleanor Mason tags along, Watson to her Holmes.
 
Together, they unearth clues. If only Eleanor would behave, as although lovable, she has a knack for getting into trouble by tangling with her rival, Dorothy Alton, or flirting with anyone—male or female—and gossiping! She's incorrigible, but she does carry a Pink Lady revolver in her purse, one that has proved useful at times.
 
 Life for Agnes and Eleanor is shaken up when Agnes' former boss and secret crush comes to Tadium. Before long, the lady sleuths have more on their hands to contend with as goons roll into town and bullets begin to fly.
 
 Adult content.
 

9 comments:

Jean said...

This is so going on my TBR pile. :-) Love the characters.

Larissa Reinhart said...

Cute excerpt! I like romance among a "certain set." And unlike teenagers, they can laugh about it;)

Anne K Albert said...

What a fun excerpt, Madison.

Aging gives one a perspective about life. Perhaps that's why older female characters provide comedic relief with such pizazz. Their inhibitions are behind them, and with their days on this planet numbered they refuse to waste time by being subtle!

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Loved the excerpt. Madison, you certainly created wonderful characters.

WS Gager said...

Madison: Anne is so right about aging giving people freedom that makes it so much fun to use them as characters. They have no problem doing whatever pleases them and aren't fooled by wrapping paper.
Can't wait to read Armed and Outrageous.
Wendy
W.S. Gager on Writing

M.M. Gornell said...

Loved your excerpt! And loved the admonishment "adult content"!

Madeline

Collin Kelley said...

Agnes sounds like a hoot!

Madison Johns said...

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all your wonderful comments. I really wanted to show person's of a certain age in a different light.

Rionna Morgan said...

Goon roll into town! Awesome!! Thank you for a great post!

All the Best,
Rionna